Visalia Electric
 

Home
SP GP 9'S
SP SD 70M'S
Misc. SP
Visalia Electric
SP(BKDOU) Oil Cans

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Visalia Electric Railroad, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Southern Pacific Railroad Company, operated in Tulare County, California between 1906 and 1990.  The VE was headquartered in Exeter and began as a passenger carrier and fruit hauler serving the fruit growing area near the foothills on the eastern side of the Southern San Joaquin Valley.  Passenger service ended in 1924 and electric operations ceased in 1949,  The first 6.6 miles east of Exeter were laid with used welded 112 pound rail in 1974 and the remainder was 60.5 pound jointed rail.  All rail and ties were removed in 1995-96 except for approximately one mile east of the former SP yard in Exeter that is used by the San Joaquin Valley Railroad.